Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rita's Rump Cover



Here is my free PDF pattern for a one-size fits most fleece/wool wrap cover for diapers. I hope you enjoy it! This cover is very trim and probably won't fit over bulky fitted diapers, but it works great over RRPs (seen below) and pinned/trifolded prefolds. For more specific directions than you see below, click on the RRP pattern link. I have detailed instructions in that PDF on how to sew the RRP diaper, and you can use those directions on this cover pattern and just eliminate the back pocket opening and add waist elastic and aplix. You can also make this into a AIO pocket (basically a RRP with velcro and a water resistant cover built in).
********************************************
THIS PATTERN DOES NOT HAVE A SEAM ALLOWANCE ADDED! DRAW AROUND THE PATTERN WITH YOUR FABRIC PEN, THEN WHEN YOU CUT THE FABRIC OUT LEAVE THE AMOUNT OF SEAM ALLOWANCE YOU LIKE TO SEW WITH (1/4 - 1/2 INCH OR WHATEVER YOU LIKE, IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE EXACT AND JUST WING IT!). THEN SEW ON THE LINE. IT IS THAT EASY.
********************************************
You can also use this pattern to make AIO (all-in-one, means a diaper with a cover built in) or AIO pocket diapers with aplix if you want. You can sew an opening in the back and stuff it with an insert if you use microfleece, suedecloth or cotton as the inner or lay-in a trifolded infant PF. You can use PUL as the outer, or even fleece wings and a PUL body. As is, this pattern will not fit tiny babies and you will have to extend the wings or aplix tabs for super big kids. I would suggest using only stretchy fabrics, but if you don't than make sure you extend the back wings.

I make these front-closing Aplix. Just sew an approx. 6 inch strip of loop on the front about 1/2 inch down after sewing the cover together. Cut off the sharp edges so they can't rub baby! I also use special Granny-Jamma aplix tabs (named in honor of their creator on Diaper Sewing Divas ). To make these tabs you cut 2 pieces of loop and 2 pieces of hook the same size for your tabs (1.5 - 2 inches long or so, and curved like the pics above). Then sew one piece of loop to one piece of hook, catching cotton/poly piping between the layers. Sew on the loop side and zigzag down the piping. This leaves a soft edge that resists pilling. Sew your tabs on the diaper before turning, between the layers, with the loop sides facing the outer fabric. These make great cross-over tabs. It is important to use extended aplix tabs on this cover if you want it to fit.
********************************************
You can use any fleece to make these covers. I love minkee on the outside and microfleece on the inner, but you can use any fleece you find at Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart, etc. These are two layer covers so you might want to combine thicker fleece with thinner to make the cover more trim. You can also use 2 layers of microfleece.
********************************************

I like doing these with seam allowance elastic added before turning and then topstitching everything but where the leg elastic is sewn. You can also make casings or do blind or faux blind elastic. Make sure to sew these covers with poly thread! When I sew my elastic in the seam allowance I sew it on the outer fabric side (when inside out, before turning) on the legs, and on the inner fabric side for the waist. I prefer the legs to roll in slightly to contain poop, and for the back to sit against the back. If you sew the back elastic to the outer fabric side then sometimes it tries to roll in and that can be uncomfortable. The yellow cover pictured above has seam allowance elastic, and the blue one has blind elastic and thus ruffles. Both methods work great, with the seam allowance elastic making the cover a bit more trim. I usually use Stretchrite knit elastic in 1/4 - 3/8 inch sizes. These can also be made with Lastin.



Download link HERE!

33 comments:

4ddintx August 9, 2008 at 3:57 PM  

Rita, I just made my first Rita's rump pocket this morning and I LOVE it! It fits my dd so well and it's great to know that it will fit my upcoming newborn, too. I just did a really quick and dirty job using two dishtowels that were in good condition but had holes. It was great. Thanks!

I want to make some of the covers. I have my pattern all cut out ready to go. I'm just wondering, can I use PUL or does it need to be some sort of stretchy fabric for the One Size Fits Most part? I would love more guidance as to fabric selection for this.

Thanks again for making your patterns available and free!

Lisabeth Kennedy August 18, 2008 at 3:42 PM  

Hi Rita,
I am very new to cloth diapering and diaper sewing. I've just recently bought some PUL, some by the yard and some by cuts. The cuts are either 20x20" or 21x20". Is there any way I can cut down your pattern to make this work? I would ideally like to make the AIO one size diaper, and I love your pattern!! Thanks!

Rita August 23, 2008 at 8:48 AM  

You can use PUL, but I would suggest using fleece for the wings. Then it will be stretchy and it saves you tons of money as you can buy smaller pieces of PUL. Just cut the wing ends out of fleece and sew them on the PUL. If you use poly thread and throw them in the dryer they should work fine.

You can also piece PUL. If you have scrap PUL, just sew it all together with poly thread to make the outer and throw it in a hot dryer after sewing to melt the holes.

Audrey February 2, 2009 at 1:03 AM  

I want to make a few of these covers for my next baby. Can I use a single layer of fleece for a daytime cover (not for night, naps or car rides)? Also, will a single layer with thick fleece fit a newborn? Thanks for these great patterns. I love, love, love your pocket pattern!

atetz March 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

Rita, I love the pocket pattern because you can adjust the rise a lot by folding down the front and/or back. Is there any way of making this cover pattern adjustable in that way? Any tricks with velcro or anything? I'm going to be using the pattern to make a pocket with aplix.

Thanks!

Debra June 3, 2009 at 2:48 AM  

Has anyone ever made these out of felted wool? I'm wondering if that could work?

brisnicki June 13, 2009 at 6:07 AM  

Hi Rita - am yet to try this, but looks doable. I love your RRP - the technique is so easy!

For those interested in the Granny Aplix Tabs, here's the tutotial on Diaper Sewing Divas: Granny Tab Tutorial with a jamma twist!

Mistress October 7, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

:o(

it says 404 file not found for the pattern link

Rita October 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

The link works now! Rita

chinchilla1013 January 5, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

Hi Rita ,
Thank you so much for the pattern My husband and I are having so much fun making our own diapers . I have a question about the cover . what type of fleece/ wool would you use and do you use two cut outs like the rrp ? any help would be great ?
jessica

N.L.B86 April 28, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

Hello Rita, I am new to diapering, I loved making your pocket diapers! I had a question about your covers. Do you think using a PEVA tablecloth would work as an outer layer, with a fleece inner layer and wings? Thanks for your input!!

Dawn May 31, 2010 at 11:41 PM  

I have made your original RRP, but as a fitted diaper with a sewn in soaker. I need to make covers now, and will use the Rump Cover, and with PUL. I was wondering if you had any directions that went with the cover pattern or could offer me any suggestions with using PUL. I'm new at sewing diapers, and don't want to mess anything up. :) Thanks for AWESOME patterns!

Faux Domestic Diva June 14, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

Hooray!! Katrina's fleece soaker pattern directed me here for a wool wrap pattern. I'm very excited! I didn't seen any directions with the wrap pattern, though. Am I missing it? Thanks so much!!

Lynn Nasir July 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM  

dear Rita,

thank you so much for sharing the pattern. i have made this for both my children and we love it. it is so simple to make and this is the first pattern i've made and instantly fell in love with. thank you so much!

Joanie August 9, 2010 at 12:17 AM  

Rita, I just wanted you to know that I found your RRC pattern last Monday from your reference to diapers from your Minkee backdrop. My ladies church group, Relief Society, will be using this pattern to make Humanitarian diapers for Haitian orphans.

Thank you so much for providing this wonderful pattern. You continue to amaze me with all your varied talents.

Hugs,
Joanie

Mommenow October 12, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

Is there anywhere that i can find pics or a tutorial to show how to do the aplix tabs you're explaining. I'm better wtih pictures :D thanks

delectablespoonart October 13, 2010 at 9:47 AM  

Why isn't the cover in a downloadable PDF like your classic pattern. I'm having a horrible time trying to download with 4 shared. My husband is a computer teacher and he is having trouble with this program. I wish you could just provide the pattern for the cover as a PDF. I had to uninstall the 4 shared program. How can I get the cover pattern? Thanks.

Becky @ purposefulhomemaking.com December 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

Rita,
First thanks for stopping by my blog! Curious how you came across it. :) Second, love these! Now, if only I could make one!!!
This would be a good product to review and post on my website for sure!
I will share the site w/my friend!

Lori February 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM  

What length should I cut my elastic to?

Krista March 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM  

@Lori-I had this same question. I just cut the leg elastic 8 inches and the back elastic 5 inches. Then stretch as you sew. I usually end up with less than 8 inches when all finished. Hope that helps.

I think this might be my favorite diaper-and I've made a lot. I sewed the elastic to the PUL (outer cover). I think that will contain messes the best...

babybluesedan March 25, 2011 at 10:46 PM  

Wow, thank you so much for this pattern! I'm amking tons of them out of sheets and such with intentions to give them away to moms in need!

Greg S March 29, 2011 at 9:09 AM  

Excuse my ignorance, but I am not familiar with PUL. What does this stand for?

msnellen82 April 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM  

I am so excited to make one of these! My DD is 95% potty trained, she only has a couple accidents at night, maybe 3 or 4 times a week. This will be perfect with some flannel inserts!

Trisha July 20, 2011 at 1:03 AM  

Greg, PUL stands for polyurethane laminate. It's a laminate put on fabric, often polyester, that makes it water resistant and thereby great for diaper covers. It's a Godsend for cloth diapering mamas and Omas like me who can't use wool.

Just a hint for other mamas - try finding blizzard fleece, 300wt. fleece, Windpro fleece or other durable water resistant DWR fleece for your covers. Otherwise, you may have leakies if you have a super duper soaker like my grandkids. Regular old inexpensive fleece lasted about 3 minutes with them and then the urine went everywhere. However, buying more expensive fleece will give you better results. I get mine from coops on Yahoo or through Mill Direct Textiles online - there are a few other outoorsy-type supply stores that sell the better quality fleece as well.

Jewelz February 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM  

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how many of these covers can be made out of a yard of material. I am trying to gauge the amount of fabric I would need to purchase. Thanks (Rita these are fabulous looking patterns cant wait to try them)

Amanda Lowry April 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM  

I downloaded the 4share thing and it still says the "link you requested is not valid". :( Any help with this? Can someone email me the pattern?

harpergirls6 May 11, 2012 at 8:20 AM  

Hi Rita wondering about how long each piece of elastic should be for this cover??

Nicole Issel June 15, 2012 at 10:53 PM  

I have to add my thank you to the list. What a wonderful gift to the environment. My grandson has been in cloth since birth despite the hospital shamefully saying to his mum she should save herself trouble and use 'sposies' at least at the beginning. This has enabled me to make some truly unique comfort orientated, easy to use, gorgeously stylish originals for him. The happiness abounds. What FUN! Of coarse I would like to bragg and show the world what
I made :) but I'm not sure how... Just think, approximately 6500 sposies are NOT going to landfill with this child or any other she may have in future.

joe Dirt June 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM  

I got the cutest sewing pattern downloads for baby diapers at this website! Thanks for all of your stories and tips for making cute new things for my baby!

Sam July 16, 2014 at 2:01 AM  

Thank you for your pattern!

Mrs. Cote September 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM  

I just wanted to say thank you for providing such great patterns! This was my first venture into cloth diaper sewing and it works so well I know I will be using your pattern again and again.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Tweaked by Rita

Back to TOP